“We will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.”
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! Martin Luther King Jr. Day is observed every third Monday of January and this year it falls on his actual birthday! King would have been 89 years old.
- Dr. King was the president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference or SCLC.
- Dr. King was jailed almost 30 times. (But that didn’t stop him!)
- Dr. King attended Morehouse College in Atlanta at age 15 (AGE 15!) (Source: Biography)
- Dr. King was assassinated in Memphis, TN on the balcony of his motel by James Earl Ray.
- The Martin Luther King Memorial is right here in D.C and was sculpted by Chinese artist, Master Lei Yixin.
Today, we honor a true civil rights hero. MLK was a figure of hope, leadership, and peaceful protest, which paved the way to life-altering legislation such as “the creation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965” (Source: Biography). In a time of segregation, racial injustice, and inequality, MLK dedicated his life to activism and fighting against discrimination.
Unfortunately, these issues are still far from resolved despite the progress our country has made. We still look to the words and actions of MLK as we continue to combat against racial injustice and inequality. We must keep moving forward, NOT backwards. We are all human and should treat each other as such. In these divisive times, we must stand together.
In the words of MLK, “I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream.”
We hope everyone has a great day off and takes some time to reflect and honor a man whose life was dedicated to bringing equality and peace for all.